Pope Francis declares a special year dedicated to St. Joseph.
With the Apostolic Letter Patris corde (with a father's heart), the Pope recalls the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of St. Joseph as Patron of the Universal Church. On this occasion, a "special year of St. Joseph" will be held from December 8, 2020 to December 8, 2021
As Bishop François Maupu wrote at the dawn of the new year,
"Saint Joseph. Pope Pius IX proclaimed him patron of the universal Church 150 years ago. The "boss" of the universal Church is not one of those super bosses who shine in the globalized industry. He is the man who goes unnoticed, the man of the daily presence, discreet and hidden, in the life of Jesus as in the life of the Church today and in ours. Yet he plays an unrivalled role in the history of the salvation! Saint Joseph makes us understand the importance of ordinary people: far from the spotlight, they show patience and instill hope. St. Joseph has always been loved by the Christian people. In him, Jesus saw the tenderness of God, the one that makes us welcome our weakness because it is through our weakness that most of God's purposes are realized. One would have to read the entire apostolic letter “Patris corde” to discover or rediscover the richness of the figure of St. Joseph. The Pope also reveals that he has been praying to him every day for more than 40 years, expressing devotion and trust. It ends: "Let it not be said that I invoked you in vain, and since you can do anything with Jesus and Mary, show me that your goodness is as great as your power."
Father Gregory Mashtaki, spiritual advisor for English-speaking Africa, proposes for reflection a number of themes (recalled below): these different themes can feed the reflection at team meetings; they may also give rise to the writing of articles, which would draw a parallel between the life of St Joseph and our own existence. Group’s spiritual advisors can help with these articles.
These articles may appear in LAI's monthly newsletters, which will promote them.
- April:St Joseph (elderly) and family life
- May:St Joseph (elderly people) active in society and in the Church
- June:St Joseph (elderly) vocations in the Church
- July: St Joseph (elderly) leaders in the society
- August: St Joseph (elderly) agents of evangelization in the society and in the Church
- September: St Joseph (elderly) relationships with children and grandchildren (escape to Egypt)
- October: St Joseph (elderly) silent obedience to God's will
- November: St Joseph (elderly) death in the presence of Mary and Jesus
- December: St Joseph's (elderly) year-ends